Tuesday, January 3, 2012

CR England Driver Lends a Helping Hand

For more than 90 years, CR England has been dedicated to service. Serving our customers, our community, and our drivers, England enjoys doing what we can to help. There are numerous examples of truck drivers out there who have helped others while on the road, and C.R. England is happy to share an example of our own.

Frank has been driving trucks for C.R. England for 15 years and has seen many things while on the road. In a recent interview with England, Frank recalled some of his experiences and one time in particular where he was happy he was there to help:

“I was driving in New York on my way to pick up a load and I saw a pickup truck with a camper trail driving ahead of me.” Frank recalled. “As I drew closer to the truck I noticed smoke. At first I thought that the truck just needed some service, but when I pulled up next to the camper I saw that it was on fire!

I started flashing my lights and trying to get the driver of the pickup to pull over. At first the girl that was driving the pickup thought I was some crazy trucker trying to hog the road, but then she saw the smoke and pulled over. I pulled over too and when I first got out I thought I would be able to put out the fire out with my fire extinguisher, but by the time I got there I noted the flames were too big. There was no way that my little fire extinguisher was going to put that fire out.

The flames grew bigger and bigger, I could see them through the windows on the camper. Then suddenly the windows blew out because it got too hot inside the camper. I backed away and that was when I noticed two propane tanks connected to the front of the camper. When I saw that, my first thought was to save the truck. That’s what I was taught here at CR England; if you have a problem with your trailer, save the tractor. I ran to the lady and told her to get in her truck, I would disconnect the camper, and then she needed to drive in front of my rig.

By that time the fire department and police came, but the trailer was completely engulfed in flames and the tanks blew. Luckily the cylinders didn’t explode out, they went straight up. I think there was some kind of emergency release valve, because the flames shot straight into the sky.

I know I could have gotten hurt, but when I see something like that I just want to help. When you’re in that type of situation, you don’t think about being hurt or killed. I’ve been in the service of helping people my whole life; 20 years in the navy and 15 with C.R. England being a trainer. I just like to help where I can.”

CR England is proud to have drivers like Frank on our team. We thank him and all others for their many years of service.

 

 

  

 

0 comments: