Friday, November 18, 2011

Truck Driver Becomes Hero

Mike Schiotis has been a truck driver for 16 years and has traveled 2 million miles. While on the road he has seen many things, but nothing could prepare him for the events that took place on Monday, October 31.

It was about 9p.m. when Schiotis was driving on Interstate 380 and saw two cars parked on the side of the road. "I thought this was a typical accident."Schiotis said. "I slowed down and got over to the left lane and was creeping by. Then I see people walking - so I slowed down more. Then I see a lady waving her arms back and forthand I thought somebody's hurt; I have to stop. Then I see a man walking after her with a gun, pointing it at her, and I just kind of froze for a moment."

What he thought to be a simple accident or case of road rage turned out to be much worse. Schiotis heard the woman screaming for help and immediately stopped his truck. "I knew I couldn't ignore her and just go on down the road and then read later that something bad had happened to her," he said. "I don't know how many years I have left on this Earth, but I would have had to think about that every day for the rest of my life."

The woman ran to his door, followed closely by the man with the gun. Schiotis heard the sound of the man beating the woman with the gun and uttered a quick prayer before jumping out of his cab to help. He got in-between the woman and the gun. "I kept turning her away from him because he kept trying to point the gun at her and swing at her with the gun," Schiotis said.
|
Keeping his eyes on the gun, Schiotis told the attacker to leave. He and the victim then quickly climbed inside the cab. After getting back on the road Schiotiscalled 911 and noticed a black vehicle following him. The victim, who was bleeding heavily, exclaimed it was her ex-boyfriend and that he had been chasing and shooting at her for 20 miles.

As he drove down the interstate, Schiotis noticed the black car swerve to get beside his truck. He began to swerve his truck to block the driver and then got on his CB radio to alert any surrounding truck drivers of his situation. Soon after his broadcast another truck driver who had heard him, pulled up next to him and told him to stay on his left and together they would make a blockade.

"I never got the guy's name, just that his truck had the word Dupree on the side of the door," Schiotis said. "But he stayed with me until this was over. Other drivers were jumping on the CB with updates, telling me the cops were passing them heading my way and to hang on."
By now Schiotis was patched through the 911 dispatcher to a State Trooper who told him to start slowing down. "I jumped back on the CB and told the driver next to me that I was taking instructions from the police so to follow my lead and stay by my side, but not to let the black car get around him on the right side, which he promised me he wouldn't." Eventually the Pennsylvania State Troopers caught up to the two truckers and were able to arrest the suspect, who was eventually tried and incarcerated in Monroe County Correctional Facility in lieu of $2 million bail for attempted homicide.

Mike Schiotis has been named a hero and when asked about the situation claims he is just happy he was able to help. In an interview after the incident Schiotis admitted that he usually helps at least one or two motorist a year. The trucking industry if full of drivers, who like Mike Schiotis, are ready and willing to help where they can, even if it means simply calling 911. A truck driving career is full of opportunity, and with life changing from second to second you never know what will be on the road ahead.

To read the story of Mike Schiotis in more detail, visit http://www.landlinemag.com/todays_news/Daily/2011/Oct11/103111/110211-02.shtml

0 comments: